Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas Miracle

Seemingly insignificant events can pass by unnoticed. I noticed this one.  A Hispanic man and his little son came in to my office yesterday just before 5:00 p.m., closing time.  He had several sheets of paper stapled together, gently waving them at me.  I took them from him, they were titled Sub for Santa. It was an application to be included in this years distribution....in Spanish.  I started turning the papers over, looking for some clue, he indicated in some way he couldn't find the location to drop them off.  I finally located a phone number and dialed it to ask for the address.  He was 8 blocks away and the man who answered said, "We are closing now."  I asked him what I should do to get the paperwork submitted.  He then told me it had to be postmarked by today, to be included.  The clock read 2 minutes to 5:00.  Just then, a client walked out and began a conversation, recognizing this man.....and speaking Spanish.  The man on the phone said I could put the envelope in the mail.  I could run it through my postage machine and it would date-stamp it December 2nd.  I thanked him and hung up the phone.  I then observed the interaction in front of me.  I know little spanish, but observed that the client was making sure his application was complete .... she asked him, zapatos?  The man looked at the boys feet (shoes), "No", he said.  Libros, she asked?  (books), "No", he said.  I'm assuming the conversation was then about how the little boy was too small to read.  I sat there grinning, witnessing an angel who could help him identify what the little boy might like for Christmas.  It was very touching and I thanked the client for her help as she left.

I finished up my tasks, then headed outside at 5:30 to a snow-covered car.  It was beautifully dark and snowy, the only time I love the dark. Heading home, I was soon in front of the Logan post office.  There were no cars coming, so I slowly turned across traffic, making a U turn which allowed me to enter the mail drop box.  Dropping the letter inside it and expecting it to fall in, it was surprising that the box was so full I had to stuff it down. Squinting to see the time posted for the last pick-up, it said 5:45.  I glanced at my cell phone to see what time it was.....5:46.  I looked up to see the postal clerk pushing his cart towards the boxes to empty them for the final time.  The Sub for Santa letter had made it to the post office to be postmarked at the final moment.

Very tender mercies fill my with wonder.  Merry Christmas little family.

No comments:

Post a Comment